Ann Barnett was a founding member of the Denton Woman’s Interracial Fellowship (DWIF) and hosted the group’s second meeting at her home. She studied at Stephen F. Austin University for one year before transferring to North Texas State University in 1952, eventually earning a master’s degree in music education. She ran for a spot on the Denton school board in 1977. She additionally worked as an administrative assistant at Texas Woman’s University, was a charter member of the Denton chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota (a music fraternity), and a member of the Greater Denton Arts Council.
Ann was an active member of Trinity Presbyterian Church from its founding in 1960, where she and other church members reached out to Denton’s African American women to form the DWIF, remaining friends with many of the fellowship women throughout her life. She served as the church’s organist for over fifty years and taught piano and organ lessons. The Ann Barnett Service Award at TWU honors her.